The Primary Election will be held on Tuesday, June 7, 2022. The Secretary of State will issue a public proclamation calling for the election on Monday, January 31, 2022.
2022 Candidate Information Guide
The Secretary of State is pleased to release the 2022 Primary Candidate Guide . This guide serves as an easy-to-use reference for candidates who are seeking federal, state or county office in the 2022 primary and general election.
When to File
Candidate filing day for those individuals seeking preprimary convention designation for the 2022 Primary Election will file TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2022 – between 9:00am and 5:00pm.-Declarations of candidacy and candidate qualification documents by any candidate for statewide or federal office – will file with the Secretary of State
Candidate filing day for all other individuals and those who did not receive preprimary designation for the 2022 Primary Election is TUESDAY, MARCH 8, 2022 – between 9:00am and 5:00pm-Declarations of candidacy and candidate qualification documents by all other candidates – will file with the county clerk of the county in which the candidate resides
One of the first steps candidates take to get on the ballot is gathering signatures on petition forms from registered voters in their district. Due to the delay in Census data being received from the federal government and redistricting (pursuant to 1-3-13 (G), NMSA 1978), petition forms used by candidates seeking districted office, that are published by our Office, will be delayed. District boundaries will be redrawn in December 2021 by the legislature, using 2020 Census data. Receipt of valid signatures on a petition form are based on the official district boundaries set by the legislature and, by law, our office cannot publish those forms for districted offices until the legislature has completed its work.
To ensure that candidates are collecting valid signatures from the proper district, it is essential that districted office candidates use only the forms published by our Office. Official nominating petition forms for districted offices will be posted as soon as available on the SOS website. (PLEASE NOTE: Nominating petition forms are currently available for Statewide and Judicial offices ONLY) We encourage candidates or their representatives to contact our Office with any questions about this process.
For more information on Petitions and the forms Please see the New Mexico Secretary of State’s webpage
Candidate Filing Forms
- 2022 Declaration of Candidacy
- 2022 Declaration of Candidacy-Spanish
- 2022 Declaration of Intent Write-in Candidacy for Primary
- 2022 Declaration of Intent Write-in Candidacy for Primary-Spanish
- 2022 Affidavit of Designation
- 2022 Affidavit of Designation-Spanish
- 2022 Primary Withdrawal Candidacy
- 2022 Primary Withdrawal of Candidacy-Spanish
- 2022 Paupers Statement
- 2022 Paupers Statement-Spanish
- SIGNED_2022 General Election Proclamation_English_Amended
- SIGNED_2022 General Election Proclamation_Spanish_Amended
- 2022_Signed Proclamation_English
- 2022_Signed Proclamation_Spanish_
- Hours of Operation for Alternate Early Voting Site
- Hours of Operation for Secured Container
- Proclamation with candidates and polling places
- Proclamation with candidates and polling places- spanish